Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Brother vs. Brother


When I see this photo, I feel the anger and disagreement among the soldiers. These men look like they could have possibly been brothers. This shows how deep opinions of slavery were during the Civil War. There is a definite contrast in how the soldiers are dressed, what type of weapons they are using, and most importantly, the flag that stands behind each of them. This painting is an excellent example of how different views can turn brother against brother and father vs. son. Look at the colors in both of the flags. Don't they both have the colors red, white, and blue in them? Aren't both men in the painting American? I hope that my readers see that opposing viewpoints shouldn't tear a country apart like they did in the Civil War. Citizens should bring their own ideals to the table in hopes of creating a better America for the good of all people.